touchingthewound asked: How do you get your omega-3's?
Chia seeds are 20% omega-3s. That’s 8 times the amount in salmon.
Flax seeds have more omega-3s in 4tsps (12 grams) than salmon does per 100 grams.
Hemp seeds also contain a good deal omega-3’s but are much higher in omega-6’s.
other good sources of omega-3’s are: seaweed, beans, winter squash, wild rice,leafy greens, berries, mangoes, honeydew melon, cabbages, and kumquats:)
lunafica asked: 2. 5. 7. 8. 16. and 26.? (◡‿◡✿)
2. What turned you vegan/vegetarian? When I was 5 years old I made the connection that the chicken on my plate was a chicken and I was actually being fed dead animals. I refused to eat meat or fish ever since. Then, when I was 15, I took my first AP class in Human Geography. One unit examined food production around the world, from GMO crops banned in the EU to factory farming. I watched documentaries about the egg and dairy industry and they made me physically ill. For almost 10 years I thought I was doing all I could to help my beloved animal friends and yet, I was still contributing to the exploitation, abuse, and murder of so many in a major way. I discovered these short animated videos called the meatrix, which I highly recommend, and with all of this new information I had learned in the span of a couple days, I went vegan right away.
5. What’s your favorite dairy free milk? I love unsweetened almond for most things (drinking, baking, etc.), soy is good in coffee on the rare occasions that I have it, and coconut is super delicious in smoothies and desserts:)
7. Favorite vegan meal and what’s the recipe? I love vegan lasagna or baked ziti. They are definitely up there. I don’t always use a single recipe, but I use homemade cashew cheese ricotta, daiya, gf noodles and a good homemade tomato sauce. I like my lasagna with spinach and sometimes tofu.
8. Do you take vitamin supplements and if so what? I don’t take any vitamins on a regular basis, but I will sometimes take B-12 when I need a boost of energy, and I do have vegan calcium supplements but I haven’t really used em. Much better to get your nutrients in whole food form:)
16. Are your family vegan/vegetarian? Regardless of the answer, how does this impact you? No one in my family was veg until a while after I went vegan. They ate everything. I took my sister to a farm sanctuary on year, and it had a huge impact on her. Then, not too long after, my sister’s birthday present to me was a rolled up piece of paper. I opened it and it was her telling me that she had gone vegan:)! Now my mom is almost entirely vegan, too. She does still consume honey from time to time but our fridge and cabinets at home now are basically all vegan which is sooo nice. My dad is a carnist unfortunately and it totally kills me. I don’t live with him but he is such a caring person yet he just can’t allow himself to go there which is really sad. It hurts a lot to see.
26. Which question frustrates/annoys you the most regarding veganism? ugh there are so many. Maybe when people say, “so, what CAN you eat? nothing?” Like, MY DIET IS JUST AS IF NOT MORE DIVERSE THAN YOURS PEOPLE. NO I DO NOT JUST EAT LETTUCE. Or, when people say, “Omg how are you vegan? I could never do it.” Because, yes, you can do it. Almost everyone can be vegan.
thank you for the questions lovely<3